Facilitating Group Session: Home Management and Establishment

by - March 06, 2018




                        Yesterday I had the opportunity to facilitate my second group of this semester, except this time, I led the group by myself. This was quite different from the time before because I had to come up with the group activities and discussions by myself instead of working with another classmate. I choose to lead this group on home management and establishment, which when reflecting back on this group, I'm not really sure why I chose this particular topic. This is something that I am not as familiar with and so writing this group protocol was a bit of challenge. I found it especially challenging to find both creative and engaging activities for the group too to do together, but finally after a lot of thinking and searching I came up with two activities. Yesterday I was so very nervous before facilitating the group. I think I was worried that my group was going to be boring and that I wouldn't be able to really get the group members to engage because many of them do not currently own houses. Once I started, however, I felt the nerves calm down. I introduced the group and the topic and myself to the group and then had everyone introduce themselves and do a quick warm-up activity. I forgot to communicate the expectations about the group at the beginning of the session, and wish on second thought that I had done this because I think it would have changed the group dynamics to be a bit more to be more organized. For our activity, we created a visual schedule that each group member was to personalize to their own particular home tasks. I may not have explained the activity clearly enough and also may have provided too many options for the stickers for their calendars because by the end of the activity when members shared their visual schedules several of members had focused more on tasks that weren't related to home management at all such as studying for their upcoming tests, or cleaning out their car. Internally I was a bit frazzled by this because I didn't quite know in the moment how to ask the group members to think a bit more about the actual topic or about chores or house tasks rather than other to do items. However, I did get the group members to share whether or not visual charts and schedules were helpful to them to keep up with tasks they needed to complete. I applied this activity to their real lives by asking them to incorporate at least three tasks that they could put on their calendar that week to work on or improve. 

               All in all, I felt okay about this group facilitation, but realize that there is still definitely room for more improvement in my role as the facilitator. I think it is really important to choose topics for the groups you lead that you feel knowledgeable in so that you can feel confident about how to lead the discussion or how to facilitate better group processing and sharing. I did not feel as confident about home management as I liked, but it is a lesson learned (and I also am taking away a lot of new knowledge from having to write this group session!) I hope for more opportunities to lead groups in the near future or in a fieldwork. 






You May Also Like

0 comments